Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Behind the times

Hee hee... just noticed that the whole Paris Hilton thing is literally yesterday's news. Oh well, it made me laugh anyways. So now for more behind the times stuff. I have discovered dooce.com. She's been blogging since 2001! So I'm slowly going through her archives and occasionally reading the new stuff. The latest post (again yesterday's!) is a letter to her daughter, which I find beautiful. It contains this (I hope it's ok to copy it here):

I have a friend who used to say that when I talked about parenthood it sounded as if I were trying to convince myself that everything was okay. And for a long time it was exactly that — this new way of life was hard to navigate, impossible at times. I used to hang up the phone after talking to her, crawl into my closet and cry because I thought I was so bad at this. I said a few months ago that things were better, and they were, but I had no idea that you would continue to become more charming, more adorable, more full of surprises. At this age you are like Christmas every morning, always saying something wildly outrageous, often breaking into song in the oddest places, and now my friend tells me that when I talk about parenthood it sounds like an instrument I’ve been playing all my life. I like to think that I feel better about this because I am better at this, but I know it’s mostly because you are the most amazing person I have ever known. Whenever I talk about you to other people, whenever they ask me how I’m doing with this, I’m not sure I can adequately communicate just how lucky I am to know you.


I'm still at that first phase of parenthood, trying to convince myself that we are doing right thing, that we aren't going to totally screw Ezra up. It's nice to know that someone else feels that way and that maybe I won't feel that way forever. I'm ging to have add dooce.com to my sidebar now.

No comments: