Wednesday, September 20, 2006

This Blogging Thing is Amazing

(Yes, I know this is my fifth post today. What can I say? I'm obsessed.)

I used to write poems. A long, long time ago. Some of them were even kind of good but I haven't written a poem in probably 7 years, even longer since I wrote a good one. A lot has happened since then, things that made me think, "I should want to write a poem about this," but I never did; I didn't even get wordseeds.

Around the time I stopped writing poems, I started making photographs. Some of those were quite good, I think, but I stopped when I started working full time, and I totally lost my eye so that when I did get around to picking up my camera, the results were disappointing to say the least. Except for South Africa. In South Africa the landscape and people are so stunning that it didn't matter that I'd lost my eye; that said, there were many disappointments when I got the 23 rolls of film developed.

BUT, since I started blogging, I have been thinking poems and seeing photos. I've even written a poem, but I haven't actually taken any photos, except for Ezra shots. Walking around downtown today I was totally wanting my SLR. It was amazing.

Maybe it's motherhood. Maybe it's not working. I don't know. All I know is that beauty -- no, a new appreciation for beauty -- has re-entered my life.

1 comment:

Mad said...

Yes, Kate, my sentiments exactly. I am not a writer but my daughter makes me want to work hard to be one--not for gain or recognition but rather for her.