Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Joining

I've been toying with the idea of joining the Waterloo-Wellington Wildflower Society. I'm not exactly sure what all they do but I know they have a plant sale at the Farmer's Market every spring and a garden tour every summer. I think they also have monthly meetings with guest speakers and perhaps occasional plant rescues when land with native plants is slated for development. This sounds mostly good to a plant geek like me.

But those people are passionate with a capital P about native plant gardening and, judging from the garden tour, they work hard. I'm passionate about the theory of native plant gardening but not so much about the gardening. I don't think I have what it takes to be a real gardener. I love learning about plants and deciding which ones to put where and I like planting new ones. But I'm not so keen on digging new beds, transplanting adult plants when they didn't work out as I planned, pulling the endless weeds in my garden, basically all the rehabilitation required to make my yard what I want it to be. That's way too much like hard work.

The fact is, I'm just a slacker at heart. I do the bare minimum to keep afloat. Even with the things I'm passionate about. Well, occasionally I go overboard (case in point: how often I've been posting) but it doesn't take long for the obsession to wane and I go back to the minimum.

No comments: