Friday, September 08, 2006

Warning: Heebeejeebies may follow

I have permanent heebeejeebies. I almost feel captive in my own home, but I'm not really. I just have to psyche myself up to walk out my front door first.

Yesterday I discovered this huge spider making itself at home just off our porch (Ok, if anyone from warmer climes reads this I know they're just going to laugh at me but this is Canada! We're not supposed to have huge spiders outside our house). The photo doesn't really do it justice because I couldn't bear to get any closer. You'll just have to trust me - it's big.


When I laid down with Ezra for a nap yesterday, every time I closed my eyes all I could think of was that spider. Lurking. Outside our door.

In fact a spider a lot like this one walked across our living room floor the other morning. Dave removed it quickly but oh *shivers*. Although it gave me the creeps to think about that spider in our house at least there was only one. But - horrors - Dave has informed me that this is a different spider altogether. This is a funnel spider and the one in our house was a wolf spider.

I may have to rethink this whole native plant thing. I'm cool with the theory of inviting lots of critters to our garden, both pretty, like birds and butterflies, and not so pretty, like beetles and toads. And I know that spiders are hugely beneficial but THAT'S A REALLY BIG SPIDER! And s/he doesn't look like s/he's going anywhere.

tags: ,

No comments: