Tuesday, April 17, 2007

News

I mostly try to avoid the news. We watch a bit in the mornings to get the weather report, but I try to tune out the actual news until I turn it off. So much of the news is focused on rapes and murders and armed robberies and propaganda, that it's just not worth it to me. I really don't need any help in figuring the world as a frightening and dangerous place. I think there's been quite a bit of research showing that as crime goes down our awareness of it and our fear of it goes up. I am not proud of my ignorance at all, but avoiding the news has been an effective strategy for me to reduce anxiety. Plus I generally find out about the stuff I need to know from other people.

All this is to say that my only information about the Virginia Tech shootings is from blogs. I first saw mention of it at Slouching Mom's, then at Jen's. (And Jen, I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing your sleep deprivation when you don't know about a tragedy that has befallen others... though upon finding out, it is a good opportunity for counting our blessings, that sleep deprivation is our biggest problem...)

This morning I started to watch the news because I figured I should probably find out more of the details. But then I decided that I really wasn't comfortable with Swee'pea watching it alongside me while he ate his milk-soaked Shreddies. He keeps surprising us with the things he understands, and he has a whole lifetime to learn about shit like this; it doesn't have to happen yet.

So I don't know much about what happened, but I wanted to point you to V-grrrl's very thoughtful post on the subject, just in case you miss it. Sadly, I can't figure out how to link to the specific post, but her blog is here and it's the one titled, "Reaction to the Virginia Tech Shootings."

So that's all... just wanted to share a brilliant post with you.

14 comments:

S said...

Thank you for sharing it! It was extremely thoughtful.

I'm sitting here wondering whether, and how, to share this news with my nine-year-old. I know he is going to hear about it from someone else if not from me, and I'd rather be the one to frame it for him. On the one hand, I think he's old enough. On the other, is any of us old enough?

NotSoSage said...

That was, indeed, a thoughtful post. As was yours.

Anonymous said...

V's post stuck with me through last night...as did the news...

It's too much for me to bear sometimes, you know?

OhTheJoys said...

I am just too sad today.

Aliki2006 said...

Thanks for pointing out her post. I'm very sad, too.

Run ANC said...

Off to read the posts. Also, read your posts on anxiety (took me a while because I was sneaking it in at work). Thanks for sharing - it did help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words on my post, written as the news was breaking.

Listening to the convocation speakers now--glad to hear speakers of so many faiths share their wisdom and compassion. Hoping that regardless of where people stand on matters of faith or doubt, they find comfort.

11111111 said...

Thanks for that link. V-Grrrl said it well.

Beck said...

Very good post. Thanks for pointing us to it.

Bon said...

thanks for linking over to the other posts...i've been kind of a voyeur in terms of this tragedy, for lack of a better word - i have many many feelings, but little to say. others' words seem better than my own, so i appreciate the help finding them.

Seattle Mamacita said...

I needed to read this, thanks for sharing V-girl's post.

Mimi said...

Sad. I'm just very sad.

carmilevy said...

Sometimes, I wish I hadn't decided to become a journalist, and now is one of those times.

There is, after all, such thing as being TOO dialed in.

Girlplustwo said...

you are right, it was excellent. den pointed me there already.