Wednesday, April 04, 2007

new pics

So it's been a while since I posted any photos... I meant to put some in my last post but I forgot. So I guess I'll just put a few up here...

I didn't shoot a whole lot in Toronto, but when I did I discovered a real bicycle fetish. Ok, so I've noticed it before, along with an interest in vespas and motorcycles, but where we were in Toronto has A LOT of bicycles:

bicycle parkdale

more parkdale bikes

And I couldn't leave my grammar grump cap at home:

gratuitous quotation marks

Gratuitous quotation marks... not once, but twice! On the same shop front!

I definitely want to go back sometime when the weather is a bit more reliable and nice for wandering around.

On Saturday when we came back from the Big Smoke, we walked downtown to buy milk. And I shot some more.

reading

Also, Sugar Daddy pointed out these very strange dolls in a shop window. I was too shy to walk into the store and take a picture of them, so I just shot through the window and hoped that you could still make out the dolls past the reflection.

weird dolls

Just in case you can't make it out, there is the Lunch Lady Action Figure, the Obsessive Compulsive Action Figure, and just above the Lunch Lady, there is the Jesus Action Figure. What's up widdat?

18 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Oh, I want that Lunch lady figure! How odd and interesting...

Mouse said...

I just finished grading a stack of undergraduate papers where quotes were marked (or unmarked) in every way imaginable, including the triple whammy with some long quotes of being indented, placed in quotation marks, and italicized.

But even more than gratuitous quotes, I hate gratuitous apostrophes--with entirely missing apostrophes running a close second!

NotSoSage said...

What kind of a conversation do you think Lunch Lady, OCD guy and Jesus have behind that window at night, when the shop is closed?

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

metro mama said...

I hate gratuitous punctuation too.

Love the action figures.

S said...

Gratuitous quotation marks are, to my mind, the equivalent of elderly drivers who brake frequently and randomly, with no provocation.

And I can't stand either side of the equation.

Mimi said...

Hey! Is that that building on/near College that's going to get a totally Green reno and become a chichi hotel?

(Am I a dork for that?)

Beautiful bicycle photos. I have one of those curvy frame, big-bum-seat bikes. So comfy ... now if only it would stop snowing, I could ride it.

Beautiful!

Mad said...

Great shots.

For the record, I own the Librarian action figure and my husband, as you know, owns the Shakespeare action figure. Toys for the idle middle class are a dime (or 19.95) a dozen these days.

Stacey K said...

You can see more of those action figures here

http://www.mcphee.com/categories/action.html

My sister has the crazy cat lady action figure

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Today I passed a handwritten sign saying, "Garage sell next right" -- you never know, that could've been deliberate!

Beck said...

My minister has the Jesus action figure and we were both so disappointed that he didn't have a pull-back motor, like "The Love Of Jesus, Coming At Ya!"
I'm going to Hell now.

Bon said...

great photos. love the lines on the top one of the bicycle, and love (hate) the gratuitous quotes...oh, us poor, ignored English teachers. ;)

i think i want a Jesus action figure, and then i can stick him on my dashboard and sing "i don't care if i rains or freezes, long as i got my plastic Jesus riding on the dashboard of my car"...

now that's going to be stuck in my head ALL day.

karengreeners said...

We have the Jesus action figure. It is almost Easter, you know.

Make sure you let me know the next time you'll be in my hood. I'll walk around with you good.

OhTheJoys said...

You are such a fine, fine photographer. Methinks an afternoon stroll with cameras and you would be a fine afternoon indeed!

crazymumma said...

ahhhhhh

I smell groovy Queen West....

Kyla said...

Beautiful photos!

Her Bad Mother said...

There's a house in Bloor West/High Park that often has stacks and stacks of old bicycles loaded in the sideyard and spilling out the garage. Until the neighbours complain again and the city comes and forces the old guy there to remove them all. Which he does, for a while. And then, slowly, they all come back. Fascinating to watch, this cycle of construction and deconstruction of a bicycle monument, of sorts. Art.

cinnamon gurl said...

Ha ha, HBM, a cycle of cycles?

11111111 said...

I can't get over that shot of the bicycles next to the basement window, there's just something about it....