Thursday, April 12, 2007

random fun stuff

This morning a coworker sent me to this article about how Beijing is trying to ban Chinglish signs in preparation for the Olympics. I haven't been to Asia but I have friends who have and who have generously given me some wonderful treasures of Engrish. I think banning those signs will be a loss. Yes, Grammar Grump me loves to laugh at unintelligble English. I discovered a pool on flickr dedicated to capturing Chinglish treasures, where I found this:



Ice boy taken to the streets, originally uploaded by xiaming.



Somehow I also came upon a few treasures, unrelated to Chinglish but related to disco, on youtube. I just had to share this one:



Betcha never knew about the connection between disco and agriculture before did you?

And, while I'm on the subject of disco, I'd like to take a poll: do you think a disco-belly dance fusion solo would be cool or just plain silly?

AND finally, I have persuaded Sugar Daddy to participate in that interview meme going around. Now's your chance to get to know Sugar Daddy better! So whoever gets their questions to my email inbox first wins.

8 comments:

Beck said...

Ha! The Boy stood beside me very solemnly doing ALL of the dances.
Chinese-English signs are wonderful. A friend of mine brought back a shirt that said "Genuine High Class Beaver Love Girl". Wear with pride, friend of mine. Wear with pride.

Mad said...

That sign slays me. Get your rocks off ice boy!

S said...

That is one fantastic sign. Hah!

Anonymous said...

I love that sign. What a womanizer that Ice Boy is. :-)

Mimi said...

Video. too funny. Snort. Must dance ...

Bon said...

lol! i love the mangled English...i spent four years in South Korea, and after awhile i actually started to believe that some guy in a basement in Seattle was pumping the things out...they were just too funny. if that dude doesn't exist, though, i'm not sure Beijing will be ABLE to clean up their signage!

i have a tshirt which has a little paragraph on the front of it, containing the words lettuce, Jesus, lesbian, canoeing, ice queen and a few other random selections, with no connecting thought.

Girlplustwo said...

disco belly dance fusion?

you better video it. i so want that sign.

Anonymous said...

That sign is Japlish, not Chinglish