Saturday, December 22, 2007

random pre-holiday wine-drinking shit

I should be wrapping gifts right now, but instead I'm drinking wine and feeling maudlin. Note to self: never listen to your Wallow playlist unless you are actually wallowing. Otherwise it will just make you melancholy.

I should be saving the wine for our little get-together on Christmas Eve, but instead I'm drinking it. So what if I have to make another trip out for supplies.

I should be getting the address and directions for a family gathering we're supposed to go to tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure Swee'pea is coming down with a Merry Christmas bug. He's coughing and having trouble sleeping and his stomach seemed a bit off today.

Plus we have a lot we could do around here (like wrapping presents, buying more wine and making bread pudding).

* * *

I've been meaning to share something I saw in the paper last weekend. I don't read the paper much, but we were snowed in and Sugar D bought one so I read it. I don't feel like explaining all the context so I will just provide the quote.

"... So who is to say that the state of non-verbal rapture you describe in your son - who is to say that that is inferior? Who is to say that? We're arrogant enough to believe that sentience is all that counts. It's not all that counts. A sequoia is not a sentient being. But they count. There is nothing more magnificent. It doesn't require me to think about it to be in awe of it. I don't want to minimize the difficulty of raising a handicapped child. ... But it's just a mistake to think of them as lesser than. There's no lesser than. There's just different from. It isn't just great minds that matter. It's great spirits too."

If you have a subscription to the Globe and Mail you can read the full article here, the third in a series of three. If you don't have a subscription you have to pay one way or the other.

* * *

Oh dear, I'm more than halfway finished the bottle. I should really stop now, especially if Swee'pea really is getting sick and I won't sleep for a week.

I couldn't stop listening to this song today.

* * *

snowy-window-001-acidic
It snowed a lot last weekend.

* * *

Books I want to read:
Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking
Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones
Stephen King, On Writing
Mark Doty, Heaven's Coast and Firebird

* * *

Last weekend we watched Stephen Fry's documentary about bipolar disorder. It was fascinating. Highly recommended.

* * *

Guess I should wrap those presents now.

Nah, there's still tomorrow night.

Off to fill my glass...

11 comments:

dawn224 said...

I am totally thirsty now.

Maddy said...

I'm not much of a newspaper reader either, but after that quote......maybe I should be.
Best wishes

This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"which takes you straight to my new blog.

flutter said...

I am glad to see I was not the only one with the wino virus today....

Don Mills Diva said...

I am a Globe reader and I noticed and was struck by that letter to the editor as well - so eloquent.

Run ANC said...

Well now I really want some wine. We went to a flagship LCBO today for some Christmas shopping and I am still salivating. I read Stephen Kin's Danse Macabre and it was quite good. I didn't know he wrote another book about writing. Hm...

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Mad said...

I have been reading the Ian Brown series about his son. It was, at times, breathtaking.

Kyla said...

There is no lesser than. I like that.

Merry Christmas, Sin.

Aliki2006 said...

I've been enjoying quite a bit of wine myself, although right now it's 7:25 a.m. and I'm in the guest room at my parents' house watching L. make paper airplanes He's been up since 5:28.

moplans said...

I had a glass of wine two weeks ago and broke out in a rash. Most likely from the antibiotic I was on but I'm not taking chances, so thanks I've enjoyed this bottle through you.
I have the three sections of the series on my side table. I just don't know what to do with it. He has done an amazing job covering all aspects of the issue.
Merry Christmas.
This comment brought to you by "Ratatouille" the characters of which are also drinking red wine.

Jennifer said...

It isn't the holidays without wine...and LL Cool J. *grin*

Wishing you all everything warm and cozy!

Mimi said...

Oooh, we shoulda been drinking together.

I found that Ian Brown series of articles just riveting. Riveting and beautiful and awful. My mom worked with profoundly handicapped children and shares that sorta clear-eyed pragmatism and rationalization and the wonder and the hope. But she's pretty clearly on the side of it-makes-an-awful-life-for-everyone.