Saturday, December 01, 2007

just when I thought life was going along all hunky-dory

and the most I had to worry about was Christmas shopping and future vacation destinations...

updated: crisis has been averted, thank goodness, although I think we all sustained some damage in the process.

a certain mentally ill family member is being evicted today and has nowhere to go but here.

Our home.

We were in this situation about four years ago too, and I still have flashbacks. Now we know better. We just cannot put ourselves (and now Swee'pea) through that again. We cannot enable the mental illness.

But it feels wrong and selfish all the same. The counsellor with the local mental health clinic we've been working with over the last (gasp) 10? months pointed out that when someone is mentally ill, you can't draw closer around them the way you can and do with physical illness, otherwise everyone will get sucked into the craziness. We must first protect our own sanity.

I hate this knot of anxiety and guilt weighing in my belly yet pushing my shoulders to my ears.

I suspect we will not make it out to the horse-drawn trolley rides, dinner out and lighting of the trees we had planned for this evening. But I guess that's the last of my worries...

15 comments:

S said...

Oh, no. I'm so sorry. I hope that you can help this person without hurting yourselves in the process.

Christine said...

oh no! i hope sit resolves itself and you don't have to deal with this for long.

good luck.

Beck said...

That's so awful. I'm sorry.

karengreeners said...

oh god, what a horrible position. how unbelievably hard is it to say that it's just not your problem? i hope a good solution comes, and soon.

Suz said...

I'm so sorry, that's such a terrible position to be in.

b*babbler said...

I'm so sorry you're in this position. Unfortunately I've been there also, and I know all the conflicting feelings that it can bring up.

Keep yourself safe and sound of mind during this time.

Don Mills Diva said...

Nothing to say execpt, I'm so sorry, this must be so very difficult for you.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry - take care of yourselves and your little one.

Kyla said...

I feel sick for you Sin. I am just so sorry you're dealing with all of this.

Mad said...

Oh Sin, I am so sorry. This must be so very trying and worrisome. I'll be thinking of you and SD. Email me if you ever need to talk less publicly.

mamatulip said...

Oh, Cinnamon. What a tough spot to be in. I'm sorry.

Mary Jo Koch said...

I am so sorry. Having experienced this from both sides, I would be glad to talk about it via private email.

Kyla said...

So glad to hear, Sin.

crazymumma said...

Oh man. I hope it all works out.

Run ANC said...

Such a tough decision, but you have to protect the little one, right?