Tuesday, October 23, 2007

night air

There is something luxurious and a little naughty about walking alone in night air so warm it's like a caress on bare arms. It makes me feel young and carefree to evoke a long line of young and carefree solitary walks on warm nights. So it's funny that the first memory to trip through my mind last night was of walking across a small Cape Town parking lot to the car after a delicious Thai meal with Sugar D, Swee'pea, and my in-laws. Nothing young and carefree about it really. Not alone at all. Just a memory of taking a moment to enjoy the fresh smell of a summer night, one of our last before returning to winter. I suppose both nights share a feeling, a knowledge of the end of a summer holiday.

There is something luxurious about walking alone on a warm summer night. But it's just sleezy at the end of October in Ontario.

13 comments:

S said...

You should be where I am. There's no difference between the feel of the night air back in July and the feel of the night air RIGHT NOW.

Which is more than a little creepy, actually, given where I live.

cinnamon gurl said...

Yeah, SM, it's the same here. Creepy.

Suz said...

It's the same here...but we're in the Southern US, so don't expect anything else. Nevertheless, I remember the chill Halloweens when I was a kid, wearing long johns under my ballerina costume. I miss those days.

Jennifer said...

Oh, you've described balmy night air so well. Luxurious and a little naughty. Love it! The night air is crisp and cool here now. And I'd enjoy it more if it didn't mean downright *COLD* is on its way. I'm not sure I'd mind a little global warming... ;)

Unknown said...

we still have mosquitoes. It's disturbing.

Kyla said...

It is finally cool here and I love it. But those trees in my neighborhood that are reblooming? Freaks me right out.

Christine said...

sleezy is a perfect way to describe what it has been like. it is weird to see changing leaves while wearing sandals and a tank top. today it poured and cooled down and finally felt like fall.

Christine said...

sleezy is a perfect way to describe what it has been like. it is weird to see changing leaves while wearing sandals and a tank top. today it poured and cooled down and finally felt like fall.

Aliki2006 said...

Sleezy--perfect description of it. I am so tired of this warm air!!

Beck said...

Yes, I would like it to get colder now, thank you.

Mad said...

Tell me about it. October 23rd and still no frost out here. I picked green beans in the garden. Something is very, very wrong.

Run ANC said...

It's a no-win situation, really. You either dress for summer, and look like an idiot. Or, you wear fall clothes and swelter from the heat. Just my luck that all my maternity clothes are from the winter season..

b*babbler said...

So late on this, but I'm in total agreement. The weather, while beautiful, made me a tad uncomfortable this week. Something wrong about pumpkin patches and short sleeves.