Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday Miscellaneous

Grammar Grump

It's been a long time since I played the Grumpy Grammar Gus. But this morning I saw two signs seeking to bring my grammar grump out of retirement.

rude lunch
What if I don't want to smoke salmon?

I guess spelling isn't their strong suit
I guess spelling isn't their strong point

I guess spelling isn't their strong suit detail
Just in case you didn't catch it in the wider view... I think it should be psychedelic?

Public Service Announcement:

Also, I have another public service announcement to offer: Latino's in G-town has FANTASTIC chicken fajitas. Now, I'm not a fajita connoisseur. Until three years ago, I hated sweet peppers, so much that I used to get mad at my roommate for eating them because her green pepper breath was overwhelming to my delicate olfactory senses. But then I discovered accidentally that roasted or grilled red peppers are actually quite good, especially with feta. So then I started letting red peppers in, which eventually became all kinds of sweet peppers in all kinds of dishes, and even, last summer, I ate a RAW red pepper. It was revolutionary.

Last night we went out to dinner, and I decided to give the fajitas a shot, and it was superb! AND Latino's uses organic meat from local business Rowe Farm Meats.

I haven't watched The Simpsons in a long time, but there are moments on it that are positively brilliant, that suggest to me that perhaps there IS such a thing as absolute Truth. Especially when Homer speaks. Once such Truth, for me, and it's been going through my head a lot since dinner last night, is, "Mmm, that [fill in your own blank] was SO good, I wish I were eating it RIGHT NOW!"

10 comments:

Mouse said...

Just the other day I was mentally kicking myself for not filling up on feta before I got pregnant. Now I'm jonesing for it again. And the fajitas sound super right about now.

Beck said...

I live on peppers. They're all welcome at my house.
My favorite sign thing is the misplaced ': potato's $4.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I get grumpy about grammar too. I'm working on a post where I highlight some of the worst examples from my workplace.

I'm really surprised about "psychedelic" though -- wouldn't you think if you were going to put up a semi-permanent sign that you'd check the spelling of all the words?

NotSoSage said...

Ah, yes, I've heard rumours of the Grammar Grump, I'm looking forward to further features.

Mad said...

It looks to me as if the owners dropped a few too many psychedelics in their day. BTW, what is a psychedelic need? Guelph has a truly fascinating small business association.

cinnamon gurl said...

Mouse, I was never able to get conclusive info about feta during pregnancy. In the end, I think I just decided that as long as it was pasteurized, it was ok. I just couldn't go without feta for the last month or so of the pregnancy.

Beck, I LOVE all peppers now. I also love the greengrocer's apostrophe. I posted a particularly fine example here a while ago.

Nancy, yeah, it is surprising about the sign. You'd think they were stoned or something ;)

karengreeners said...

clearly the owners of the head shop were high when they put up their sign. i'd be disappointed if they weren't - to say nothing of the clientele.

Aliki2006 said...

I love some good grammar grump...

And now I want Mexican, too!

Mimi said...

Oh grammar grump, I bow down to your infinite sarcasm :-)

When I was pregnant, I could NOT ABIDE red peppers. Tasted like soap. I find this very strange ...

11111111 said...

Do you think to people who made the sign missed that too, or did they just let it go?