Kgirl tagged me for a rockin' meme, AND she even called me one of the rockinest folks, in an email. I'm not sure it's entirely accurate, but I LIKE it, and I'm gonna do the meme anyways.
So... 5 songs I've been listening to lately:
(Actually, I think this needs a bit of preamble. Sugar Daddy keeps somewhat up to date with new music, and is responsible for any thing post 1999 in our collection. Sometimes I stumble upon something and discover I enjoy it, but most of the time I've been sticking to my oldie but goodies like the Bobs (Marley and Dylan) and Neil Young... I'm nostalgic like that. And I can listen to my favourites on repeat endlessly, which drives Sugar Daddy, or anyone else within hearing distance, absolutely stark raving mad.)
- "The Seed (2.0)" by The Roots
This was a song I discovered thanks to SD. The first time I heard it, we were driving somewhere, and we'd just decided to try to make a baby, and we'd also... er... just made our first attempt (after years of practice, of course). The lyrics are silly, and actually quite offensive, but the fact that it's about conception... well, it spoke to me. Plus it's REALLY catchy. The next time I heard it, I was pregnant.
- "Call to Apathy [tentative title]" by The Shins
Just this past weekend, Sugar Daddy was on the computer and I was with Swee'pea in the living room. I didn't really notice the music, until suddenly I realized that it was nice, and just under my consciousness I had enjoyed the last several songs. It was the Shins. This one's my favourites of the ones on our computer.
- Lay Lady Lay by Bob Dylan
Yeah, I mentioned this one a while back, but I STILL just can't get enough. I'll listen to it like five times a day if Sugar Daddy's not around to stop me.
- (Just tried to find a video or something with the song but have discovered that the person we downloaded it from must have made a mistake with the title so I don't know it) by Amon Tobin
I loved Amon Tobin since before Sugar Daddy's time. In fact, I think I introduced HIM to Amon. Strangely, Amon Tobin played at the Trash in G-town back in about 2003, with the jazz festival or something I think. He put on a great show, except he kept calling it Gulf or Gelp (he alternated). Someone shouldda told him. Sadly, Sugar Daddy wouldn't let me name Swee'pea Tobin.
- Smokin' Blunts by People Under the Stairs... I had a hard time choosing just one song by the People Under the Stairs. I know nothing about them, but discovered them by accident on itunes and I love them. Sugar Daddy says they're hip hop, but they seem a lot more jazzy yet ambient than that to me. Regardless, very good stuff. (In the end, there were a coupla frontrunners to choose between for the specific song to list. I chose this one because I figured kgirl would like this title.)
AND, just so you can see how bad this song is, and how bad my taste is, the chorus:
I only wanna fertilize another behind my lover's back
I sit and watch it grow standin' where I'm at
Fertilize another behind my lover's back
And I'm keepin' my secrets mine
I push my seed in her bush for life
Its gonna work because I'm pushin' it right
If Mary drops my baby girl tonight
I would name her Rock-N-Roll
I mean, who names their baby girl Rock-N-Roll?!?
Note: this is not the Roots performing. It's just some guy procrastinating on his law finals. But you can get a sense of how catchy the song is.
So, now I'm wondering what Mimi, Alpha Dogma are listening to...