Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Boogie Fever

Pretty much ever since we got back to Canada, Swee'pea has had a runny and/or crusty and/or gooey nose. On many occasions Sugar Daddy and/or I have found ourselves mining for nuggets, and not the golden kind.

The nuggets we're mining for dangle tantalizingly close to the edge of wee caverns and look like they'd be easy to pluck out with our bare hands. But our darling little Swee'pea refuses to let go of his wealth. He twists his head left and right, throws his head back, away from the line of fire, and screams bloody murder at the indignity of our operations.

I remember before Swee'pea was born, Sugar Daddy expressed disgust at parents having to pick their children's noses. For a while, I was on my own in my mining expeditions. But now Sugar Daddy has become my partner in mine, digging in even more enthusiastically than me.

The other night, we were trying to soak the nuggets out with a warm wet washcloth during Swee'pea's bath. It had worked to dislodge the nugget slightly, but not enough to really free it. Sugar Daddy rolled up his sleeves and went at it.

It took several passes, but eventually SUCCESS! The boogie was his. We both breathed a loud sigh of relief and satisfaction.

"Did you ever think you'd actually be doing that with your kid?" I asked.

"Well, I never thought I'd WANT to!"

9 comments:

OhTheJoys said...

Heh. (so familiar!)

Jenifer said...

Thanks for dropping by! I was over here earlier this morning and saw your "Milestones" post and chuckled. I was coming via AlphaDogma and was trying to get inspired to do the music meme. You are all just way cooler and hipper than I.

Oh how we love to get those boogies in our house. We use the bulb thing and that along with the saline drops conquers even the most resilient of boogies. And I am with Sugar Daddy in that who knew I would WANT to do this one day. The funniest was we had friends visiting and their baby was all stuffy and they had never tried the bulb. We are all oh use ours it is sterilized, let us help you; I think they are still a little afraid of us....

Mad said...

Oh, a delightful comic piece, Sin. It's amazing how crafy those little buggers can be when it comes to guarding their booger hoard.

Miss M is now at the age where she is obsessed with her own boogers. If one comes out (either aided by her or me) she must stop to look at it before it can be whisked away to a kleenex. Back in January when she was just wrapping up a head cold a huge booger came out in her bath. She watched it go down the drain and to this day she often puts her toe in the drain hole at the end of her bath so that she can go visit her booger.

NotSoSage said...

I have no problem mining for boogers (and neither does Mme L, these days...in fact, they are presented to us like a hard-won treasure) but what I will *never* do is spit on a kleenex and wipe off my kid's face. I know, I know, never say never...but my mother used to do this and it bothered me SOOOOO much, I just don't think that I could pull it off. Joe did it the other day and I could barely watch.

Very funny piece, indeed.

Mimi said...

Jeez! Pynchon and I were just talking about that this morning, when he coined another SAHD-ism: describing yesterday's encrusted baby nose, he said "Boogers: 40, Dada: 2" as if keeping score. We go at 'em with q-tips, adn I'm the avowed boogie master. But now that he's at home all day, Pynchon is trying to be the booger-master. He's kicking butt AND keeping score :-)

karengreeners said...

oh how they tease...

bee will not let us near her nostrils anymore. she insists that she will do it.
then she insists that she must 'pick daddy noses'

these are not mutually beneficial situations.

Undercover Angel said...

Oh, I don't miss those days... These days they clean out their own noses, and the most I have to do is remind them to use a kleenex...

Aliki2006 said...

I'm with notsosage--I abhor the spitting on the face thing. But I too have no problem mining for boogers...um, it's kind of satisfying in a gross sort of way.

11111111 said...

Oh, for the love of all things Gross!

Of course, I've done this, but the best method is the hot bath with the door closed. This creates a mini steam-room, then it all runs free.