Saturday, March 03, 2007

Hop To It

MommaK at Petroville is hosting a baby shower for Lindsay at Suburban Turmoil, well more of a belly hop than a shower, a celebration of uncomfortably pregnant bellies.

This is me on my due date, just over a year ago. The little one had been pushing his feet up against the bottom of the right side of my rib cage for months, and I'd been suffering quite a bit of rib pain as a result. It felt like I just couldn't stretch myself tall enough.

I was impatient. I had spent my entire pregnancy believing in an intuition from my deepest self that the baby would arrive early, maybe on my grandfather's birthday, maybe on Groundhog's Day. And here it was my due date, and I was that thing that I most hate to be, that thing that rests most uncomfortably on me: wrong.

Hey you in there! Yeah, you.


Come out come out wherever you are...

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

You look beautiful! Thanks for sharing the belly pic :)

Suburban Turmoil said...

Love it! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's funny, I find it really easy to be wrong...NOT.

metro mama said...

You guys are all so brave posting these!

Mad said...

You are glorious and beautiful.

mamatulip said...

What a GREAT shot! I love it. :)

Beck said...

Oh my goodness, you are relatively quite tiny. If I was braver - which I am not - I would post a photo of late, late in my pregnant with my second child, where I'd gained ONE HUNDRED POUNDS and only ten of that was baby.

cinnamon gurl said...

Beck, I gained almost 50 pounds, and only 7 of that was baby. But yeah, I look at these pictures and think, wow, I didn't LOOK as big as I FELT. I also started gaining weight again after about three weeks postpartum, which, incidentally, I think I've lost again.

All I can say is the guidelines for 'proper' weight gain in pregnancy are a crock of shit, IMHO. I know so many women (most?) who went above and beyond 35 pounds and everyone was perfectly healthy.

Everyone, thanks for your kind words!

Marie said...

You look great!

NotSoSage said...

You do look great!

That's funny, I expected to be waiting two weeks or longer after my d.d. for Mme L, because everyone in my family was late. I was so sure that I set my mat leave to start on my due date, thinking that I was going to have two weeks at home to relax. As it was, I started feeling contractions on February 2nd and had her on Feb. 7th!