Monday, February 26, 2007

Mostly Happy

Things that make me happy:

  1. Swee'pea had his first half-day at daycare today while I went to the dentist. He didn't cry, ate a good lunch, and is now sleeping after his fun-filled morning. (I didn't cry either.) Back in December, I had thought he would ok with daycare, but I started to worry last month because he was so clingy and made strange so much while we were in South Africa. (Well except with a few strangers...) So this morning makes me really really happy. Yippee!
  2. This morning, we got up before 7 and managed to get all three of us fed, dressed and out the door by just after 8. Maybe I will be able to make it into work before noon!
  3. This weekend, Sugar Daddy hung FOUR pictures (pregnancy photos that we had framed that have sitting for like 8 or 9 months), AND a key ring holder with two adorable photos of Swee'pea, AND the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs (well almost, he needs to improvise a way to fasten the bottom because of the 100-year-old moulding that I refuse to allow him to cut off). The photos look awesome -- and double bonus: they're not on the floor anymore. Yippee!
  4. On Saturday, we purged three garbage bags full of clothes and stuff, and two small boxes of lamps, plates, bowls and books. Also returned empty beer bottles. I even threw out the funky little suitcase I ran away with when I seven (it was filled with my mom's old prom dresses - because that's what you need out there in the big wide world), and which I used in my adult life for overnighters until the zipper broke and the cat puked on it a few years ago. I was too attached to it before now. But I took a picture of it and let it go.

    in memorium

  5. For five nights in a row since my Great Big Whine About Sleep last Tuesday, Swee'pea has been going to bed around 8 pm (well except for last night, which would have been the sixth... last night was a lesson in how important it is to be hardcore about his nap, and not letting him nap after 3 pm). He has needed some attention at least once before I go to bed, but this has still afforded some lovely time for SD and I: on Saturday night we watched the first five episodes of The Office. In the words of Sugar Daddy, "I'm starting to feel like life is good again."
  6. Putting away my old breast pads (Bravado are by far the best!) made me grateful that I have gotten a full year of maternity leave, and don't have to return to work in the days of spraying breasts, wet t-shirts and smelling like cheese. I can't imagine how many shirts I would have had to bring to the office with me if I did.
  7. Getting dressed yesterday morning for a communal birthday party for my mums' group's babies in the afternoon, I was also grateful that I am returning to work after Swee'pea has gotten past his propensity for puking after every single meal. I'm sure it will happen, but I don't need to expect that I will be puked on in the time between getting dressed and walking out the door. Yay, Canadian mat leave! (Our daycare situation may be dire, but we have great leave...)

Things that don't make me so happy:

  1. I got the same dental hygienist as last time. Luckily the only thing she said that bothered me today was that I should be taking extra vitamins since I'm STILL breastfeeding. I'm pretty sure that information falls outside the scope of her job.
  2. Drilling holes for the pictures involved sparks and a charred drill bit. The stud finder slash live wire finder did not make it through the exchange. Not from the electricity, but from Sugar Daddy's frustration with it (he didn't do anything violent with it, but suspects that perhaps consumers are not meant to change the batteries because little bits flew off of it when he tried). At least the photo has a wood frame, so unlikely to conduct electricity, right?
  3. While we had a busy Saturday, we didn't get to any organizing yesterday, so Operation Organize the Whole House by Wednesday is not going so well. Maybe tomorrow...
All in all, I'm mostly happy.

13 comments:

Mad said...

Mmmmm, the smell of cheese. Thanks for that. I will keep that image/scent with me all day long.

Glad to hear that the Pea had fun at day care. What a relief that must be.

karengreeners said...

if it weren't for the cat puke on the freakin awesome little 'case, i'd be rummaging through your garbage. glad that happy days abound.

NotSoSage said...

I've been negotiating a way to be home for the whole year the next time, while still allowing Joe a good six month stretch at home...mostly because I hated pumping at work, among other things.

And I, too, was considering dumpster-diving for that case until I read about the cat puke.

It's good when the kids like their daycare. It makes it so much easier.

Beck said...

"I'm starting to feel like life is good again."
Ah, memories. Memories of just how freakin' hard the first year of parenting is. I'm so glad that Pea loves his daycare! That's a blessing.

Mimi said...

I'm laughing about the cheesy breastmilk smell. I'm still leaking like a superannuated water balloon. I use Lansinoh breast pads. Religiously.

Sounds like you're having a great day! And I'm *super* glad that you and SD are able to spend some time together again. What a relief, eh?

N. said...

I'm not scared of no freakin' cat puke. Let me at that dumpster/trashcan, babe.
Smelling like cheese - so this is a bad thing where you live?
I'm so impressed with your purge/organize project. I feel the need to follow suit. I'm going to start with the Omega Man's collection of LPs.

(also I've tried several times to post here lately but with no luck - so don't think I'm snubbing you. I like this place heaps.)

cinnamon gurl said...

If it weren't for the cat puke, it would still be in our house.

But AlphaDogMa, you're a better woman than I... you're welcome to it. I think it's still on our front porch since we haven't had a garbage day yet.

Girlplustwo said...

more happy than sad. that's all we can ask for. and the happy sounds really happy...and Sin, I did your meme bidding.

DaniGirl said...

Oh, those first days at daycare - what an emotional roller coaster. Like you, I can't imagine how people do it on anything less than a year.

Glad it's going well...

mamatulip said...

Oh my goodness, that little suitcase is so cute! But cat puke takes the cuteness out of pretty much anything, so I can see why it had to go.

Aliki2006 said...

I too am impressed that you have some pregnancy photos to hang. I'm always sorry that I don't have more...

cinnamon gurl said...

I should clarify that we had professional pregnancy photos taken... that's why we have shots good enough to hang. I loved the fruitful shape of pregnancy and I wanted to make sure it was captured in a way that looked magical. We would never have been able to do that.

ewe are here said...

I'm really glad the daycare went so well! It's such a relief to find good daycare that your child actually enjoys! (I just wrote about this yesterday in fact.)

Oh, and while your dental hygienist might go a little overboard on occasion, her most recent comment might not be as 'outside the scope' as you might think. If you're not getting enough calcium intake, I believe that being pregnant / breastfeeding can cause it to be sucked out of your bones and your teeth to their detriment.