Friday, November 02, 2007

burn (and a not-burn)

Updated: New illustrated edition!

oct30 041
This was originally taken to show off my new winter coat, but it also conveniently shows how clean our porch is now. Aargh! Now that neighbour is going to think that calls to the city get great results!

In order for this post to make sense, you need to remember a few key details about me. If you've been reading for any length of time, I know they won't be surprises, but if you're newer, you need to know.

  1. I really don't like being told what to do. So much that I will often act against my own best interest just to avoid doing something that somebody told me to do.
  2. I'm messy. And until we decluttered everything to put the house on the market (which we still haven't done and are unlikely to), the mess sprawled onto our front porch.
  3. Despite my good intentions, I only open the mail once a month.
So, last weekend we opened the mail to discover a notice from the city. Apparently, our property was inspected on September 29, and they ordered us to clean off our porch. What really burns is that we did, that very weekend, so that now we have a pretty porch completely with Adirondack chairs and decorative potted plants.

Upon consideration though, what burns even more is that when the inspection took place, we had a freaking dumpster in our driveway, so it had to be obvious that we had work underway, which could explain the paint cans and the ladder that were on the porch, the paint cans that were specifically identified as items to remove forthwith. I am SO tempted to call the city just to tell that we cleaned up the porch before we even knew about their stinkin' order. So there.

And of course, there is the residual burn that some nasty neighbour felt the need to call the city, instead of talking to us. I'm pretty sure I know exactly who it was. People suck.

* * *

Well, at least some people do. Someone who doesn't suck, though, is Mad, whose hilarious Boob Tube post I nominated for a ROFL award.

* * *

I'm also mildly horrified that of all those resolutions, I have instituted exactly zero of the habitual items. The one-time tasks are complete, however.

21 comments:

Suz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suz said...

You inspired me to look back. I have the same record on my resolutions - of course "loose weight" has been on there for the last five years! Sigh.

Kyla said...

That's why I don't do resolutions. My favorite quote is, "I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya... it feels phenomenal." -Dodegeball.

Words to live by. ;)

Jennifer said...

Someone else who only opens mail about once a month!?! My long-lost sister! Whee!

Your #1 also describes me pretty much to the letter. Maybe we really are long lost sisters? Hee.

And I think your neighbor needs a hobby.

Aliki2006 said...

I would be burning, too.

How annoying for them not to talk with you first!

Mad said...

Oh Sin, this was funny. I can just see the steam coming out of your ears.

Thanks for the ROFL, btw. If I had my act together I would've awarded your eviction notice. But I didn't have my act together. Now I might just send a letter to Swee'pea instead demanding that he clean off his front porch before bed every night.

Beck said...

Ah, well. I do have a story to tell you, then. Privately.

OhTheJoys said...

One of our closest couple friends have a porch full of stuff. We loving ly call them the Clampits.

(Sorry.)

N. said...

Oh that would burn me too.

mamatulip said...

The trivial, not important at all things that get under people's skin and make them do really stupid, hurtful things never ceases to amaze me. Who cares what people's front porches look like?! Man. *shaking head*

Kyla said...

Ooooh! I don't know if I've ever seen you before!! Its a treat!

I looooove your shoes. LOVE. And my pants do that frayed cuff thing in the back, too. I think that means I buy them too long or something, but I like to think of it as character. ;)

karengreeners said...

you're very cute!

Bon said...

i think your neighbour sucks, but you're totally cool-lookin' and i think you should forget ye olde Big Smoke and come move to dull, pastoral PEI and be MY neighbour. cause i like your hat.

Bea said...

How I love that photo of you. Great hat!

Mad said...

Love the coat. Love the you in it.

Beck said...

Your new coat is really nice - and you're so cute!

Jennifer said...

Hey, look, it's you! So nice to see you. :)

b*babbler said...

I can't imagine what my resolutions I possibly had this year, as I'm sure I broke all of them.

Lovely coat and front porch. I can't imagine someone calling the city though. My neigbours are true potheads (regularly hotboxing the backyard) and I haven't even bothered to call about that!

mamatulip said...

You are SO ADORABLE.

And what a clean porch!!

Christine said...

1. you are too cute.

2. your neighbors SUCK.

Be Inspired Always said...

You are adorable :)



Jillian