Sunday, August 05, 2007

Sin's kitsch and tell

Because Mad asked...


kitsch and tell 1

My pink plastic hen. It's actually a planter, I think, but I use it to store tapes. My friends gave it to me at my 21 and a quarter surprise birthday party.

kitsch and tell 2

The bowl was either a birthday or housewarming gift a few years ago from a friend with a great understanding of my taste. Yes, we use it to hold sweet potatoes, onions, ginger and garlic. The drink mixer thing was just given to us recently by my parents.

kitsch and tell 3

And the penultimate... my Grandma Ruth's lady heads, one of which I use an icon on flickr, and a painted wooden spoon my Grandpa got when he went to Russia (USSR? I can't remember now). I seem to recall he got kicked off the trip for helping a Russian leave the country or some such thing.

13 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Oh, I am so inspired to bring on my kitsch and tell!

I love the heads, btw!

Mad said...

Oh Sin, I love that bowl. It is beautiful plain and simple. As for the lady heads, I think I remember them from the Grandma Ruth post last November. It's either that or I've seen them on Flickr.

Fabulous kitsch!

flutter said...

OK that bowl is friggin fabulous. Those heads scare me, but in the best possible way....

Girlplustwo said...

i LOVE that bowl. and that shaker begs for martinis.

Anonymous said...

The bowl is divine! All the items you photographed are very unique and have their own charm.

Bon said...

oooh, kitschy wondrousness. i like. i like a lot.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of the bowl too. Great to see your kitsch. ;-)

karengreeners said...

OMG - I love that bowl & shaker! And yes, the heads are a bit scary, but like you, I would never be able to part with them.

mamatulip said...

That bowl is THE BOMB! I love it! So totally cool and retro.

The heads are very neat; they look like they both have a story or two to tell...and that hen? My mom would have snapped that up in a second. She loved stuff like that.

Mimi said...

This stuff is so awesome!!!! My granny (for whom Munchkin is named) had a similar collection of lady heads. And the bowl is just fantastic. My whole kitchen used to be done in aqua -- it's a very 50s colour, and the parabola / star pattern going on there is just quintessential to the era. Now you needa countertop with gold flecks in it. Wow.

Beck said...

I have that bowls twin in bottle form, truly! When I get to photographing everything, I'll have to make sure to include it.

ewe are here said...

Love these, especially the bowl.

I just posted a bit of my kitchen kitsch, too! :-)

N. said...

We are kitsch doubles. I just posted mine.