Thursday, August 16, 2007

first blood

I probably should have kept my head down.

first-blood

Swee'pea dropped a pot lid on his foot, shortly before we had to go to the doctor's for his 18-month shots. He cried and kicked his foot and I felt utterly powerless. He'd settle down, then cry some more and look accusingly at his foot. It seems better now.

Got home from the doctor's just in time to get bad news from South Africa. Sugar D's Uncle R died this morning, suddenly. He was the one I grumped about smoking in the house with Swee'pea and who got held up multiple times in Mozambique, the youngest brother who lived with Sugar D's granny. He was 58. I never imagined that this past January would be the last time we would see him.

roger 252

I'm really quite sad about his passing, and for the changes in Granny's life his loss will bring. She has now outlived two of her four children, a fact I cannot comprehend or contemplate. Luckily, there is still one brother in Cape Town who will care for her.

It strikes me that Uncle R was a risk-taker who lived a wild and, at times, fast life. I suppose it is fitting that he died the same way, as shocking as it may be for the rest of us. I was so pleased when he gave us his pencil drawing of a shack in Khayalitcha before we left, and of course now it just means so much more.

Roger 256

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Sugar D's uncle. 58 is so young.

S said...

I'm really sorry about your loss.

And poor Swee'pea's toe looks a mess!

(You do take such stunning photographs.)

S said...

I meant the portraits of Sugar D's uncle, not the foot, of course. ;)

Kyla said...

I'm so sorry, Sin.

And Swee'pea's toes! Oh no.

Beck said...

I'm sorry about your uncle - those photographs of him are so vital that it's hard to imagine.
And your poor baby! That first injury is always so sickening.

Girlplustwo said...

i am sorry honey. for your loss and for the blood.

Bon said...

poor Swee'pea...the toe looks nasty.

and i'm so sorry for your family's loss. Mr. Uncle had a fabulous face, and looks full of stories.

NotSoSage said...

My condolences to you and Sugar D. I understand your concern for his Granny...this must be a difficult time.

Oh, and poor Swee'pea's toe. I find it so hard when they hurt themselves.

S said...

Come by my site for an award.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss, Sin. And for Swee'pea's poor toes! I'm cringing just remembering the image...

mamatulip said...

Ouch, poor Swee'pea!

Very sorry to hear of Sugar D's uncle. You have my thoughts...

11111111 said...

Yucko toe!
Sorry for the loss of your uncle-in-law.
Well wishes to you and yours.

karengreeners said...

I'm sorry about Uncle R, and Swee'pea's poor toes.

Christine said...

oh what sad news all around! i am so sorry about Sugar D's uncle.

oh and just reading past posts---that song, that song! beautiful.

Suz said...

Those are wonderful photos of Uncle R and a beautiful way to remember him.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear of your family's loss.
Those are wonderful portraits of him.

Aliki2006 said...

I am so sorry to hear of Sugar D.'s uncle.

Such wonderful pictures, c.g.

carmilevy said...

No doubt he would have been touched by the way you chose to remember him here.

We lost a beloved cousin last week. He was a cantor, and he sang my wife down the aisle at our wedding. I often wish life didn't come with this guarantee of loss at its end.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.