Friday, June 01, 2007

making lemonade

Sorry for the delay since my last post... I didn't mean to leave you hanging after the shock. I think we're both feeling pretty optimistic right now, that this is the kick in the pants Sugar D needed to get a job that makes him happier (although he wasn't unhappy in the job, he wasn't 100% satisfied either). And, if you have to lose your job suddenly, on the cusp of summer has got to be the best time of year for it. So, my goal is to make the next eight weeks the Summer of Love. I'm only working three days a week, so I figure let's use those extra two days a week to have fun as a family. We have old friends to visit in Montreal (AND I've never been there before), new friends to see in Toronto, and lots of photos I want to make. We also have family to visit and my parents' cottage on a small lake in Eastern Ontario to do it in.

All that said, I can't help but notice the stomach pains and nausea I've been having since Tuesday, which feel a lot like the nausea I felt when I was on strike in 2002. Intellectually, I can know that we will be ok, that I can probably switch back to full time in September if I need to, and Sugar D will surely get EI. But emotionally, the uncertainty is a bit harder for me to deal with, I guess.

Thanks for your sympathetic comments... although did you read my post about kids being teased? Because I'd love to have more dialogue on that subject...

Oh -- and congrats to Sage and Mad and B&P for the perfect post awards this month!!

14 comments:

NotSoSage said...

I think that you guys are really taking this in stride. And I think it's amazing that you're taking advantage of the time you've got to spend a little more leisure time together. That's excellent.

I, too, would be struggling with the uncertainty, but I'm sure your attitude will prevail over your instinct.

I hope that one of those visits brings you my direction so I can show off all the cool graffiti I've scouted out for you!

S said...

What notsosage said. You guys are strong and smart. And because of that--

it won't be too long now.

Enjoy the time together.

Aliki2006 said...

I'm glad you're both ok--I think you have 100% the right attitude. Things are bound to work out--take the next 8 weeks as a gift of sorts. And I would be nervous, too, there's no getting past that.

cinnamon gurl said...

Sage, a graffiti safari with you is totally on the list for one of those trips...

Mouse said...

It sounds like you have good, solid plans in place--doesn't take away all of the anxiety, but at least you have something to work with. And at least you know you'll never regret spending more time together as a family!

Mad said...

A grafitti safari? Now I am jealous.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear the news. But I agree, you all have a positive outlook and are handling this calmly. Hoping for all the best for you.

And I have marked the teasing post to return to when I have more time.

Run ANC said...

What a great approach to an otherwise no-fun situation. I think a Summer of Love is something that everyone needs every once in a while. And if it brings SD to a better job, that's fantastic.

Mimi said...

Phew! I'm glad you're back. I was worried. And your plans for the summer sound really really great. I hope your brain can convince your tummy to calm down. Over here .... it's summer of renos. Way less fun.

Christine said...

You have a positive out look despite those little stomach pains. Enjoy the Summer of Love, and good luck to Sugar D fining a new job. Something will come up for sure.

11111111 said...

Ditto what Sage said.

Have a great Summer of Love.

And wishing good luck to you all.

ewe are here said...

Enjoy your extra time together and help him focus on finding a job that he'll enjoy (as much as anyone can enjoy a 'job'). One will come along; he just has to be patient.

karengreeners said...

Just catching up - yikes. Keep up the positive attitude (nausea notwithstanding) because sometimes a little shake up turns out to be the best thing in the world.

Kelly said...

What sage said....

I feel you too, since I feel most of my anxiety in the form of stomach distress (oh and migraines and neck pain, too, woo-hoo)

A summer of fun sounds like a heap of goodness, in my estimation. Lemonade, indeed!