Sunday, November 16, 2008

missed

On Saturday I volunteered at the drop-in centre for the first time in a few weeks. And you know what? I was missed! The minute I got there, Lucille was all, "Where have you BEEN the last few weeks?" I felt bad that I didn't call, but I felt really good they noticed. Is that shitty? Whatever... I used to call to let them know if I was going to miss a shift, but I was never sure the message got through, and nobody seemed to notice anyways, so I sort of stopped.

Anyways, I was missed. And it felt good. The Book Guy is leaving town this week, going to BC, and he's been trying to give me back In the Skin of a Lion, which I lent him a while back. I wished him well, and gave him one of my photo cards. I hope things go better for him there than they have here.

Another man, who I haven't seen for a month or more, also commented on my absence. So I commented on his and he said he went to Scotland. I don't know whether to believe him at face value or if it's a euphemism for a hospital stay or something.

6 comments:

Sus said...

Thanks for the little smile at the end. I believe next time I go into depression-hibernation I'll tell everyone I went to Scotland.

Oh, and thanks for the comment at my place. What a beautiful and concise sentiment: that that's how long it takes for the human heart to break.

Mimi said...

Oh, nice! I'm glad you got a little lift ...

Aliki2006 said...

Poor Scotland--it does have that reputation, doesn't it?

moplans said...

that is so great to know you were missed.
I still look downtown to see if I know any of the guys around the shelters.

I also feel such guilt about abandoning the lgbt kids at the school when I got so sick with Julia and never got to see them graduate. You remind me I need to go back.

Kyla said...

Of course you were missed!

Bon said...

it is good to know one is missed...this reminds me how little it costs to tell people i've missed them, noticed their absences from things. i'm glad you got that little boost.

and Scotland...funny. i think i'm in my own slump of wanting to hibernate right now, so if Scotland's a euphemism for that, i'm there. and yet i am so NOT in real Scotland, where i'd delight to be...drooling just about the idea, to be honest.