Friday, July 20, 2007

Yay!

Sugar D has a job! It's the job in Toronto, the one that requires four hours of commuting a day, but it's just too good of an opportunity to turn down. Besides, we can do anything for 3-6 months and in the meantime we'll look for opportunities to end the commute (with other jobs or a move). And, he should be able to get home by 6 in the evening, which is perfectly humane.

Ottawa is still on the table... right now the possibilities are dizzying and exciting, though at some point I expect they'll become just plain old uncertain and stressful. I have so much swirling through my mind (not to mention preparing two job applications for Ottawa jobs) that I haven't really been able to blog. I just can't keep up with or track the millions of directions in which my thoughts are darting about.

In related news, I've gone and fallen in love on the Internet, with a house. It's the most gorgeous house I've ever seen anywhere in our price range (our price range, of course, being dependent on both of us having jobs -- in Ottawa), and I could imagine living in it forever. Anyways, I'm only just managing to keep my head on my shoulders and am resigning myself that it is absolutely not the right time... I'm going to have to ban myself from the mls for a while I think. At least until we see how Sugar D's new job goes or until one of us gets a job offer elsewhere. Well... maybe I could just focus on places in Toronto because that would be a much less disruptive move at the moment.

Last summer, I fell in love with a fixer-upper in the Bo Kaap in Cape Town, the neighbourhood with all the colourful homes. Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure I saw it, unfixed-up, when we wandered around the neighbourhood this past January. Clearly, I have a history of these totally impractical love affairs with other houses. The funny thing is that I love our home. I wouldn't want to move anywhere else in G-town, at least not anywhere that we could reasonably afford.

onions in bo kaap

13 comments:

Bea said...

Congratulations! 6:00 is very doable - that's when hubby gets home. It will be interesting to see what happens next...

Mouse said...

Congrats!

It sounds like you're being very sensible in your approach to all of this. It's nice to have the stability of the job and also a general plan for moving forward. I hope it all moves along smoothly.

Trillian and I also fell in love with a house where we want to live--she is, in fact, checking it and a number of others out right now. So we'll get a firsthand lesson in whether or not such love affairs are practical.

Run ANC said...

How exciting!!

Is it selfish of me to wish that you guys would move to TO anyways??

S said...

Hey! That's great news.

Congratulations!

Mad said...

Hooray for SD. I knew he'd be the man for the job.

flutter said...

oh congrats!

NotSoSage said...

Yay, Sugar Daddy!

I don't know what it is, but I've been really restless lately and have been lurking through mls and making up Excel spreadsheets of accounts and budgets and stuff. Aren't we supposed to feel this way in the spring?

I'm call it my third-life crisis.

Aliki2006 said...

Congratulations!!

I'm sorry for the house angst--but maybe, just maybe it will work out?

Christine said...

Awesome! I am doing a happy dance for you guys. . . ;-p

metro mama said...

Congratulations! Great news. Toronto is a very nice place to live. It's all about the neighbourhood. In fact, our problem is not venturing outside our neighbourhood often enough!

niobe said...

Yay is definitely right.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job! Good luck with the next few months -- though it sounds like you two have mentally prepared yourselves, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job! That's a long commute, but hopefully you'll work something out that will be beneficial to both of you.

As for that photo - I swear I was there and parked my car in that parking lot!! Funny!