Thursday, November 30, 2006

13 Songs I Loved When I was 13

(give or take a year)

I haven't done a Thursday 13 before but I was thinking earlier this week about music I liked when I was younger and thought it might be a fun way to cap off nablopomo.


Complete with links for your listening and viewing pleasure

Proudly without New Kids on the Block - I can honestly say I NEVER liked them

In reverse order of intensity like David Letterman's lists


13. Blame it on the Rain - Milli Vanilli (yes I was fooled and I'm not afraid to admit it)
12. The Power - Snap
11. Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic
10. Love Shack - B52's
9. The Humpty Dance - Digital Underground (I really identified with the song's "I look funny, so what" attitude)
8. I rhyme the World in 80 Days - Kish (sadly not even enough of a one-hit wonder to have a link to the song but I know he existed outside my imagination from this)
7. All I want to do is make love to you - Heart (This was the soundtrack to my grade 8 crush - which I shared with two or three other friends... we'd listen to this song endlessly, pining for the scrawny guy. And it was a metaphor for me -- I was a late bloomer.)

(These ones are a bit of a stretch time-wise, but I really really loved them and these are the songs that started me thinking of this list)

6. I touch myself - The Divinyls (this song was the soundtrack to my trip to Florida in grade 9... also a metaphor)
5. You're Unbelievable - EMF

(And now the top 4 songs I loved when I was 13 -- or thereabouts)

4. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor (Hee - I remember mucking out stalls listening to this on the radio. I believe it came after the grade 8 crush flopped totally and I cried.)
3. Bust A Move - Young MC
2. Let Your Backbone Slide - Maestro Fresh Wes
1. Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice (I loved him and this song so much that I shaved ICE into the back of my head)

6 comments:

Mad said...

Oh. My. You are a brave woman indeed to admit all this. (with a few exceptions that hold up well)

Me, I'm so old I can't even remember being 13, although I do remember loving Debbie Boone's You Light Up My Life (blush), Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, and Boston's More Than I Feeling at some point in my youth. My favourite album at puberty was An Evening With John Denver and to this day I make no apologies for that one.

CONGRATULATIONS ON FINISHING NAP-BLOW-ME!!! It has been a treat getting to "know" you better over these past 30 days of writing and fab photos.

cinnamon gurl said...

I know. Really the only two that stand the test of time are Sinead O'Connor and the B52s.

I still like most of the other songs (except #13 and #11 -- ugh!) but really only for the nostalgia value.

Thanks for the congrats. Glad you're still here and I didn't bore you away.

Beck said...

I'm older than you. Nothing Compares to You was from... let's see... Grade 12. And I had this searingly unrequited crush on this guy named Derek. Ouch.
Way to make it through November! Good job!

ewe are here said...

Now I feel old. drat.

Oh, and while Sinead O'Connor's version of Nothing Compares 2 U was kind of cool, I actually preferred the original version by Prince (or whatever he's calling himself these days). Probably because I heard that version first.

karengreeners said...

Shut up! You shaved 'ICE' into the back of your head?
that totally eclipses the crush I had on Snow.

lickey boom boom down.

Anonymous said...

I am guessing that I was probably in my late teens when you were 13, since most of these songs I listened to in college. Sigh. Now I feel pretty old.

"I got the power!!!" -- loved that one.